To protect your pet, we recommend that you follow these simple guidelines:
Always follow instructions on the label of prescription medications.
Never give your pet any of your prescription or over-the-counter medications unless explicitly instructed to do so by a veterinarian.
Keep common household cleaning products safely stored away from pet access.
Prevent access to the garbage by keeping a tight lid on all cans or store out of reach of your pets.
Only have your home treated with chemicals that are nontoxic to pets.
Seek emergency care if your pet has ingested a toxin.
Common pet toxins:
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications (Advil, Aleve)
- Hormone replacement products
- Veterinary products
- Overdose of prescription medications
- Dog flea products (pyrethrin) on cats
- Tulip bulbs
- Chocolate (dark chocolate more harmful than milk chocolate)
- Grapes and raisins
- Garlic, onions, and chives
- Bread dough
- Sugar-free products containing xylitol
- Rat/mouse poison
- Antifreeze (ethylene glycol)
- Pennies (zinc)
- Household cleaning products